RUTH ELLIOTT interview - windsurfing equipment
windsurfing equipment: RUTH ELLIOTT interview

1 Mayıs 2009 Cuma

RUTH ELLIOTT interview

BACKGROUND
Where’s home?
I am currently living in Rhosneigr, North Wales, its cool, and
I’m only 5 minutes from the beach so no stressing over if it
is windy, I can just look out the window!
At what age did you first windsurf?
19
Where did you learn?
I was working at sailing schools teaching dinghy sailing
and decided it wasn’t that interesting sailing round in circles
for hours to see who came first. So whilst working at
Pitsford Reservoir, Northampton, I got the basic windsurfing
triangle under my belt. I go back there every Christmas to
see my family and get to chat to some inland gromits who
are always lovely to me.
Did you have lessons or were you self-taught?
I’m mostly self-taught in that I’ve never had any specific
lessons, but saying that I’ve had a huge amount of help on
the way from other instructors, sailors and friends (thanks).
I tend to only listen to people who I think look good on the
water, and since I sail with some of the best in Rhossy,
there’s quite a lot of choice.
COMPETING
At what age did you start competing?
22.
What were your initial impressions of competition?
Competition is great as it makes you try stuff you wouldn’t
normally do, and subsequently learn more…. only problem
is it makes me incredibly nervous! I couldn’t beach start in
my first heat I was so paranoid about people on the beach
watching me.
Which circuits are you competing in today?
UKWA Wave and Freestyle and I also entered my first PWA
competition this year
Have you noticed a change in the standard of competition?
The women’s competition has really improved the last 2
years which is fantastic, and you can’t hold back any more
and play it safe in heats. You just have to go for it
regardless of the risks.
What do you think the future holds?
I’m going to compete on the PWA Wave and Super cross
circuit this year for the first time. I love gales and big waves,
and my 3.4m is one of my favourite sails, so competing in
the Canaries is perfect for me.
RESULTS
What are your results to date?
1st Tiree Triple Crown 2005
1st British Indoor 2004 and 2005
1st British Wave 2004
2nd Triple Crown 2003 and 2004
Dominican Republic Slalom Champ 2000
(my first competition)
Which are the most prominent and memorable for you?
The first year of the boat show, the atmosphere between
the competitors and in the crowd was amazing. It was a
fantastic feeling to win in front of such a crowd and be
interviewed by the BBC for national TV…. oh yeah, and I
really liked the prize money!
Who has influenced/inspired you in your progress?
It’s great seeing the other women on the water and sailing
with them inspires me to try to stay one-step ahead.
SPONSORSHIP
Who are your sponsors?
Fanatic, Simmer Sails, Techno limits, Sportsresource.org,
Funsport (Rhosneigr), Sola.
How did their support come about?
Bucky at Funsport is one of my best mates and he just likes
to see people sailing at Rhossie whatever the weather. The
Goya support came through Bucky too. They (Goya) were
looking for someone to ride their kit at Rhossie and Bucky
pointed them in my direction … which was nice!
In what way do they aid you in your campaign?
Bucky at Funsport is my official cuppa’s sponsor. Fanatic
lends me some great boards. Simmer have given me all the
sails I could ever need and all in beautiful bright red. Chris
at Sola provides me with a set of wetsuits each year to
keep me toasty warm.

How did you finance the expense of competition prior
to sponsorship?
Sponsorship makes life easier but doesn’t really pay any
expenses. Therefore, until I meet a rich prince (who is
hopefully away on business a lot) I’m left with working. I’m
currently with the Environment Agency and wander the
Welsh countryside filling sample bottles with water.
LIFESTYLE
How often do you sail and where, when not at events?
I sail every time it’s windy and sometimes just when there’s
a little breeze in the air (as long as the sun is out). I mostly
sail at Rhosneigr and Plas Menai on the Menai Straits. I
love the wave sailing in Cape Town and the Canaries are
great as they’re cheap, close and super windy.
Do you train with anyone else on the water?
We’ve got a fantastic crowd in Rhossy, with Phil Horrocks,
Brother Dave, Bucky (Funsport owner), Janine (will be
famous once Harty’s looping videos out), Proffitt, Gopher,
Jamie, Chris… like I said there’s a really good crowd.
Do you train in any other way other than sailing?
Football, I love it…I’m not that talented but it’s great fun,
and my fitness has improved with it, I play most non-windy
Sundays for the local team Llangefni Ladies.
What are you doing whilst not on the water?
Mostly work unfortunately to earn money to go away and
pay for kit. Also, I’m studying with the Open University for
my degree which after 7 long years I may actually achieve
next year some time. I’m usually a good girl but when a few
low pressures systems come in I’m easily distracted from
studying and get myself down to the beach.
AMBITIONS
Which events do you see yourself competing in in
the future?
I would love to compete in the PWA wave event in Pozo,
and if I ever learn how to sail Starboard tack again I’d love
to do an event in Maui. Also fancy playing in the Ladies
Welsh Cup Final… but not sure I can bring myself to go to
footy training when it’s windy though.
What is your ultimate goal in the sport?
To be able to travel and sail as much as possible.
Obviously, it would be nice to take down one of the
Morenos or Jaggi in a comp, but I might need a bit of luck
to achieve that (like they break both legs and lose all their
kit at sea in the first minute of the heat). But if you don’t
dream…
What is the next step for you to take to achieve it?
I need to sail as much as possible so I can kick some arse
on the water. I may get more attention from finally doing the
bikini photo shoot, but I’ve never managed to keep one on
while sailing.
What advice do you have for people that wish to follow in
your footsteps?
Chocolate is good for you…

IN BRIEF
Full name: Ruth Elliott
Date of Birth:
18th July 1978
Place of Birth:
Kettering, Northants
Height: 5.8
Status: Single (but if he
brings me a present back
from Maui I may change
my mind)
Sail Number: K696
Favourite manoeuvre:
Wave riding
Favourite sailing location: Rhosneigr
Biggest influences/inspirations: Karin Jaggi for her
Shakkas this summer
Largest day ever sailed: Platboom, Cape Town
Favourite meal: Strawberries and cream...
Last book you read: Michael Palin – Around the World in
80 days
Last movie you saw: The Aviator, it was rubbish...
Car you would like to own: Metallic purple Japanese
Bongo passion wagon, pimped up to the max
Place you would most like to live: I love living in North
Wales, but if I could get the RAF boys at Rhossy to fly me
out to windy locations every day that would be perfect.
Parents’ occupations: Social Workers
Brothers or sisters? One of 5 (1 boy and 4 girls; he loves
it so don’t feel sorry for him)
Partying factor: 2 (I love drinking and dancing the night
away, I’m just useless at both)
Most valuable possession: My little 69l Fanatic Newwave,
she’s gorgeous